Turmeric is definitely one Age-Defying spice to add to your shopping list.
This brilliant Yellow spice has been in culinary use for thousands of years and is what gives curries their characteristic bright Yellow colour. This amazing spice is derived from the root of the Curcuma Longa plant, which has a tough brown skin and deep orange flesh. Turmeric is a member of the ginger family and contains potent Antioxidant Polyphenol substances called curcuminoids.
The Curcumin compound is a potent Anti-inflammatory Antioxidant, and extremely good for us and our skin. Try to include some Turmeric in your meals as part of an Anti-inflammatory diet and reap the benefits of this yellow skin friend…
The Benefits of Turmeric
- Potent Antioxidant that prevents Free Radical formation and helps neutralise existing Free Radicals
- May reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease
- It has anti-viral and anti-cancer effects
- Helps lower bad cholesterol
- Protects the Liver
- Many say that it helps with joint pain and inflammation
- Used in india’s Ayruvedic medicine as a stomach tonic and also for cuts, wounds, poor vision, rheumatic pains, coughs, liver disease
- May improve Psoriasis and inflammatory skin conditions
My family laugh now when I cook something and it’s Yellow, again! It’s very easy to include Turmeric in your food, I am fond of roasting vegetables in Olive Oil with 1 teaspoon of Turmeric powder, then mix until everything is well coated. Roast potatoes are also very nice with a coating of Turmeric, add a pinch to an egg salad for a rich Yellow colour and a nice taste, and of course curries! If anyone has any wonderful recipes with Turmeric then please share in the comments.
You can also use Turmeric in an in-expensive anti-inflammatory, hydrating face mask – just mix a pinch with a little Yoghurt and leave on your face until dry – then rinse well.
Turmeric is also available in high strength supplements from good health shops.