Beans are an excellent source of protein and these tasty, spicy Bean Burgers help beat the winter chill and aid detoxification, they make a lovely wholesome protein packed lunch or dinner. We should all aim for a handful of skin boosting protein at each meal, remember that protein provides the building blocks for our skin!
Beautiful Beans are choc full of protein and a good source of minerals, B Vitamins and fibre, which are all vital for clear, strong healthy skin.
This is my recipe that has evolved over a few years of experimenting!
Makes 4 Burgers
1 Red Onion or 2 Shallots, finely chopped
Half a cup of finely grated Courgette and Carrot
2 cloves of Garlic, crushed
Half tsp Mild Chilli Powder
Half tsp Smoked Paprika
half tsp Cumin
One tsp Marigold Vegetable Bouillon Powder
1 can Organic Red Kidney Beans in water, drained and rinsed – or Borlotti Beans/Bean Mix
Half a tsp of English Mustard Powder
2 tsp Tamari Sauce
1 tbsp Tomato Puree
Either 1 egg beaten or half a cup of Quinoa – an option for Vegans
2 tbsp of Olive Oil for frying
- On a gentle heat, sweat the onions for about 5 minutes in a little of the Olive Oil
- Add the grated Courgette and Carrot, Garlic, Chilli Powder, Cumin, Bouillion Powder and Smoked Paprika and cook on a low heat for a further 5 minutes, then transfer the mixture to one side
- Roughly mash the Kidney Beans in a bowl
- Add the mustard, tamari sauce and tomato puree to the beans and mix well
- Stir into the bean mixture the spice and vegetable mix and add your beaten egg or Quinoa – mix well
- Wet your hands and form the mixture into 4 burgers
- Fry the burgers on a low to medium heat for around 5-7 minutes each side until golden brown
Serve with a wholemeal Pitta bread and salad, or homemade coleslaw. For a dinner serve with Sweet Potato Wedges and steamed Brocolli.