1) Protection, Protection, Protection! – The best anti-ageing product you can ever buy is an effective broad spectrum sunscreen with antioxidants. It’s not very glamorous I know, but if you start at a young age, you can prevent skin damage from the sun – which will eventually show itself as wrinkles, hyper-pigmentation, premature ageing and skin cancers.
The ageing we see on our skin is around 80 – 90% from environmental factors (i.e. – the sun/daylight), the rest is genetic. So you see how much you could potentially control the ageing process!! So get your protection on all year round!, an absolute minimum is SPF 15, and the reason for this is that SPF 15 has shown to protect your Langerhans Cells, any less will just not protect them. These cells are so important to your immune function of your skin.
2) Your fork is your best weapon against skin ageing! – Think of it as a two-pronged attack – your topical skin products do the work on the surface and your diet tackles the task from inside! Eating the right foods gives the skin the nutrients it needs to be healthier, smoother and dare we say it – less wrinkled! A diet rich in antioxidants and essential fatty acids will have great benefits for your skin and your health. Don’t forget your protein as this is the building blocks of our cells, and we need it to keep our skin firm! Try and eat some protein with each meal. Our skin is often the last to get its ration of nutrients, so a good supplement regime will benefit you, I take a multivitamin and an antioxidant supplement, as well as a balanced omega 3 & 6 oil (Udo’s Choice). Food for thought – Salmon, Soya, Olive Oil, Dark Chocolate, Blueberries, Goji Berries, Pomegranate, Seeds and nuts, Turkey and Broccoli. Try and eat as many Antioxidant rich foods as you can!
3) Beauty Sleep – Sleep is the foundation of our wellbeing. We all know the effects of a bad nights rest on our skin! – the reason is that human growth hormone is released to revitalise your body and regenerate cells, this doesn’t happen as well when we have not had enough or had any deep (slow wave) sleep.The way you sleep also determines your wrinkle pattern. If you favour one side, your face may end up more pleated on that side. Try a Silk Skin pillow case, or try to sleep most of the time on your back.
4) Where there’s smoke, there are wrinkles! – I have included this as it should be a habit to – get out of the habit!!! Smoking is possibly the worst thing (it’s up there with sunbathing) you could do to your skin. You literally rob the skin of Oxygen and precious Vitamin C – we need this to make and support Collagen. If you smoke – you will double the rate at which you age.
5) Exercise is Key – The only trouble with exercise is that we do not do enough of it! Exercise is vital for stimulating circulation and increased circulation means the network of capillaries can deliver the nutrients and water to our skin cells. Our skin’s hydration is only as good as our circulation (even if you drink litres of water!), it’s no good if your blood isn’t bringing it to your cells. Exercise also stimulates growth hormone – which slows right down when we hit 30! Quick bursts of exercise are good and also weight bearing exercise.
6) Use ingredients that work – Skin care has never been as scientific as it is now. Although cosmetic products have their limits as to what they can achieve, they can still give you remarkable cumulative results. These are my top A list ingredients that are proven and have evidence to back up their claims – Lactic Acid, Glycolic Acid (topical exfoliants), Salicylic Acid, Retinoids (i.e. Vitamin A), Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Peptides (cell communicators), Sunscreen actives. (We need these in high enough quantities to make a difference). The nearer the top of the ingredient list – the better!
These are the B list and have a supporting role – Resveratrol, Green Tea, White Tea, Soy Isoflavones, Pomegranate, Ceramides, Hyaluronic Acid, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Grape Seed, Linoleic/Linolenic Acids – this list is extensive, so I have chosen the most popular.
If some of both lists are in your products in high enough quantities, then you have a product well worth using!