Radiantly Healthy, Glowing Skin on your Wedding Day!
Clear, Radiant Skin is a real confidence booster at the best of times, but on your wedding day it really is a must have – to feel your most beautiful and for picture perfect skin. Here is my guide to achieving lovely skin for your big day……..
When to start working on your skin?
Ideally 6 months before your wedding day, but 1 year for more chronic, persistent skin problems like adult Acne, Rosacea and stubborn Pigmentation.
Generally though 6 months is a good amount of time to ensure clear, smooth skin. If you do have chronic skin problems like persistent adult acne or Rosacea, that doesn’t seem to shift whatever you do, then consult a dermatologist as skin problems do not just disappear overnight.
Focus on Nutrition and Lifestyle and Eat yourself Beautiful
Gorgeous skin comes from healthy skin cells!! Which in turn come from a healthy body! – focus on improving your diet with lots of fish, chicken and brightly coloured vegetables and fruits. Don’t opt for a low fat diet!! This is the road to dry, dull older looking skin, as we need fats to make lipids that moisturise and protect our skin, but it’s the good fats you want to focus on, so Olive Oil, Avocados and lots of Omega 3 Fish, Viridian Beauty Oil or Udo’s Choice are also great supplements to ensure your intake of fatty acids.
I favour the Mediterranean diet, which is low GL (Glyaemic Load) and full of great skin boosting food and delicious. The bonus is a healthy, slim body and loads of energy! Try to cut down on any processed foods, Salt, Alcohol and Caffeine – these can cause facial and under eye puffiness, dark circles and a dull complexion. Not forgetting to glug plenty of pure water as well, 1 – 2 litres a day. I also love Antioxidant Rich Green or White Tea as this also speeds up your metabolism.
It’s also worth starting a supplement for your skin as well, this is a great insurance policy as our skin is often the lasts to get its ration of nutrients – I love Viridian Beauty Complex, this contains Antioxidants and Collagen boosting ingredients, it is also effective for mild acne.
Stress is no good for your skin or health, so try and balance things out with stress busting exercise (this also makes your skin glow), plenty of rest and of course lots of beauty sleep – they don’t call it that for nothing! If you smoke, then I won’t lecture you – but it is up there with sun-bathing as the most ageing, dehydrating thing you can do to your skin, so do try and give up!
Find an experienced Facial Therapist!
For me some of the best facials combine great technique, great products with active ingredients and selected technology. I favour progressive treatments not aggressive! That applies a mix of hands on massage and the use of some of the most effective machines. Look for someone who does a wide range of treatments and offers some of most effective salon brands. I love Dermalogica, Jan Marini and Skinceuticals for cutting edge, cosmeceuticals ingredients and products that can make a real measurable difference in the skin.
This is vital to establish what you want to achieve, your budget, and to work out a targeted plan of treatments and homecare. Your therapist will also look and feel your skin to plan any corrective treatments early on. Ask lots of questions – it’s your skin!!
Facials and Homecare
Depending on your skin, you may have a course of corrective facials that could be one per week for 6 – 8 weeks, these will focus on anything that needs to be corrected, like acne, congestion, pigmentation, scar tissue and ageing. A variety of intense skin treatments can be performed early on, like a series of skin peels or light Microdermabrasion, Micro-Current, LED light therapy (holding red or blue lamps over the skin). Also extractions will be performed to clear pores of congestion, minimize blackheads and get rid of the lumps and bumps. If you have Milia (those tiny White bumps), then find an experienced therapist who can skilfully remove them without trauma to the skin.
Once your course of corrective facials is over, you will follow the home care regime planned by your therapist (and stick to it). This should include products prescribed for your skin type/condition. So a cleanser, (toners are not really necessary anymore but some of the spritzers are lovely to hydrate and freshen your skin). A treatment serum, designed to target a specific concern and contain high levels of active ingredients, moisturiser and SPF product. Also an exfoliant and treatment mask so you can use these at home. Also any spot treatments that can quickly deal with a breakout! Brightening eye creams, lip plumpers and eye lash enhancers are also recommended, Revitalash is excellent to thicken and lengthen sparse lashes.
Maintenance Facials will follow in the lead up to your wedding (normally every 3 – 4 weeks)– these will focus on keeping the skin smooth and hydrated, the Intraceuticals Oxygen Facial is excellent at plumping and hydrating the skin with a Hyaluronic Acid serum that is pushed into the skin with pressurized Oxygen – perfect for ultra smooth make-up application.
Tips and Tricks
- DON’T PICK! I know it’s tempting, but acne breakouts usually last 3 – 5 days, but when you pick your spots, it can leave a red mark and can sometimes become trauma pigmentation. The marks can linger on for up to 6 months. Also you open up the skin to more bacteria, and what usually happens is you get another spot right next to the original!
- Keep your skincare products in the fridge! If you are nervous on the big day then your skin will appear warm and flushed, using ultra cool products will feel lovely and calming on your skin.
- I am a big fan of blotting papers instead of re-applying powder, which can start to look cakey – especially if you’re hot and nervous. I love TATCHA blotting papers which contain real Gold Leaf in each paper, find these at Space NK.
- On your wedding day morning after cleansing thoroughly, apply a hydrating gel mask, this won’t add any oil to the skin and will give a smooth, plumpness to the skin. I love Dermalogica Skin Hydrating Mask or Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 mask.
- Get yourself a super face primer! I have to recommend this because it is possibly one of the best products I have ever used – Jan Marini Prime, this does actually give the skin an airbrushed look, and can disguise and smooth a whole lot of skin imperfections like open pores and fine lines whilst making your foundation last longer.
- Fix your make-up with a facial spritzer – Urban Decay has the All Nighter Spray, which claims to fix your make-up in place and does what it says on the tin!
Most of all enjoy your day and keep calm (deep breathing!) You will feel and look the most beautiful bride ever!